Discussion Questions for Of Mist and Shadow
- Of Mist and Shadow was inspired by classic adventure films like The Spanish Main, The Adventures of Robin Hood and Captain Blood, to name a few. Honor, nobility, and class inequity are strong themes in these stories. How do these themes show up in Of Mist and Shadow? How do contemporary stories compare?
- Gwendolyn feels a strong commitment to both the land and her people. Is she naïve in her belief that she can prevail in holding onto them?
- Aidan's sense of allegiance and responsibility is to his country and his king. You could say he's extremely patriotic. How and why do people differ in their level of patriotism?
- Aidan and Gwendolyn's relationship shifts when Gwen is tending to Kevin's wounds. How and why?
- Gwendolyn uses extreme tactics to escape from Aidan on their journey to see the king. Is she justified?
- Aidan is a man of his time in many ways. What makes him change his mind in regard to marrying Gwendolyn?
- Gilbert Wallingford is a complicated personality. What do you think is responsible for his state of mind? What drives him?
- In what ways does Gwendolyn change and grow from the time the book begins to when it ends? In what ways does Aidan change and grow?
- How do the characters of Kevin, Megan, and Margarite move the story?
- What are your feelings on living in 12th Century England?